Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fundamentalist Christian Homesteaders

Elizabeth and I both know that the world sees us as "fundamentalists" and living as a couple that homesteads is just who we are. We don't liv our daily life trying to fit into a box or stereotype. We try to liv as separated from the world as we can but on the occasions where we can't help but hear worldly music like at a gas station for example, we don't hold it against ourselves. I know that technically we are fundamentalist Christian homesteaders. For us, we are just Bible reading Christians that prefer to depend on themselves and liv off the land. We arnt the crazy conspiracy, gun toting, camouflage wearing militia that the media portrays us as. I honestly don't even own any camouflage nor does Elizabeth, and the only rifle I own at this point is a .243 hardly an assault rifle.

I don't object to being called a fundamentalist Christian, but what bothers me is when people think they know what my theology and convictions are just because of the title that society gives us. Neither Elizabeth or I were indoctrinated with this lifestyle. We both chose it on our own terms.

There is an unworthy stigma with the word "fundamentalist". The only implication that the word  "fundamentalist" is supposed to give, is that we are Christians that liv our life by the word of God. We are not just Christians on Sundays. We are Christians 365 days a year and we do our best to liv a proactive life to give glory to God.

For us being a Christian and a homesteader are two very separate things. We do not believe that we are saved through legalism, we are only saved through grace.  You do not need to homestead to be a saint. There is no justification for that ideology. I do however think that the Old Testament makes it clear that to liv in the country creates a safer life for holiness verses living in the city.

I don't think anyone will argue that.

Being a conservative Christian is not something you set out to do, you either are or arnt. There is no middle ground. It is believing that everything is black and white that cultivates an eye for what is holy in one's life and what is not. It is for this reason that saints avoid television and movies. Citing Psalm 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes;

There are two types of Christians, those that read the Bible and say,"Well that wasn't meant for us today, we're different now", and those that say "What does the Word really say and am I holding my self to that standard? If I'm not, then I need to start."

We are conservative Christians first and homesteaders second.

I pray Yeshua blesses you abundantly

No comments:

Post a Comment